Tuesday 27 August 2013

Review: Delia's Shadow

I received an eArc from Net Galley. Delia's Shadow will be available September 17th, 2013.


Delia's Shadow is a beautifully written, often thrilling, ghost story set in San Francisco in 1915.

Delia Martin is returning home from New York City to her adopted family after a three year trip. On the train, we're introduced to Shadow, a persistent yet kind spirit that only Delia can see. Shadow is desperately trying to get Delia to solve her murder, but all she can show Delia are dream images from her death. We meet Sadie, Delia's dear friend and foster sister, as well as Sadie's fiance, Jack, and his partner Gabe. As the Panama Expo begins, a serial killer from Gabe's past starts to torture and kill again.

Gabe and Delia grow close, and as her Shadow shows more and more of her life to Delia, it becomes increasingly clear that she is one of the killers victims. Gabe, Jack, and Delia work together to solve Shadow's murder before the cunning killer can strike again.



I really enjoyed this book. Usually I find historical fiction a little hard to get into, but Moyer starts off so strong that I found it hard to put the book down. 

I love how strong Delia and Sadie are. They support Jack and Gabe just as much as the men protect them. I never once felt like Delia was a damsel that needed rescuing. I'm used to in-your-face contemporary, so the subtle romance took a little bit of getting used too. As the story went on, the chemistry between Gabe and Delia was undeniable.

The paranormal aspects were deliciously creepy. I found myself checking over my shoulder for a Shadow of my own more than once. The suspense was gripping, so much so that I read the last one hundred pages in one sitting. The death and torture details were tasteful yet terrifyingly effective.

The setting was awesome. I loved the descriptions of the dresses and the restaurants. The expo was one of my favorite scenes - I really felt like I was a part of the action and excitement.

Rating: 4/5

I can't wait to buy my own copy of Delia's Shadow and I'm looking forward to anything else Jamie Lee Moyer releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment