Monday 4 June 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo

Hey Team!

I've been busy! Busy at being the worst blogger ever...clearly...I haven't posted in like..a month.

So. here it goes.

I'm doing Camp NaNoWriMo - for those who don't know, it's a sadistic ritual writers put themselves through, which requires them to write a freaking novel in thirty days. It's hard. But. it will be worth it. I decided to work on my untitled Mermaid story - my last post had the first chapter in it if you're interested.

Here are the problems I'm having with it so far:

I cannot write at home. It's THE most painful thing in the world. I have dogs. I have a husband. I have TV. Wine. Bath tub. Friends. All sorts of distractions. I have to write at work whenever I find the motivation/time

I am just over 20 000 words in ( I clearly did not write all that in four days, the first chunk took a couple weeks) and don't have an outline. Enough said.

My characters won't stop making out. It's like...every time they're alone, they're trying to hook up. Controlling them is harder then you think.

I'm struggling with whether or not my characters should have sex. I hear it limits your audience...but it seems like a natural step. AND they're almost eighteen. People have sex before they're eighteen all the time, right?

I'm constantly getting new ideas for new books. It's maddening. I've been tempted to start new projects twice already and it's only the fourth day. I need the voices in my head to move out for a bit.


So that's where I'm having issues....what about you?


1 comment:

  1. I completely hear you on the characters making out part. They keep trying to have sex no matter how many times I tell them they are not allowed to in this book, they have to wait till book two! It's making for a great deal of almost smut. I'm not, personally, worried about limiting my audience, but I'm not writing YA either. It's more a matter of HOW you write (ie, the kind of language, the graphicness, the appropriateness) than whether it is there or not. If you want it there, write it, you can always take it out during the editing.

    ReplyDelete